August 25, 2011

Just Jack

Jack has done very few things without his big brother.  I knew that yesterday was not only going to be rough on Tim and I, Jack would feel the loss too.  So that we wouldn't have to think about missing Luke, I planned a special day for just Jack and I.  After dropping Luke off, we headed over to a breakfast party with some of the moms and kids from the co-op preschool we are joining.  Several of the other moms and siblings had just dropped their firstborns off at kindergarten too.  It was a perfect distraction, for all of us.
After the party, we headed over to the indoor water park.  It was so much fun.  We pretty much stuck to one tube slide the whole time, but we went down it 532 times.  Jack started yelling, "This one's for Daddy!!!" and "This one's for Luke!!!" as we would go down each time.  At one point we flipped over backwards and went underwater at the pool at the bottom of the slide.  We both had a bit of a freak out moment.  Jack is terrified of his head going under.  I was freaking out because I knew Jack would be freaking out.  I thought this would be the end of that slide so I asked him what he wanted to do next.  His reply, "Let's do it AGAIN!!"  

I was so proud of him.  He's making such leaps and bounds and it's only the first day.  I'm so excited to be home with just Jack.  We've never had regular time just the two of us.  Before Jack was born, Luke and I got to hang out, now it's Jack's turn.  I have a feeling he's going to grow up right before my eyes.  I love that he and Luke are so close but sometimes I wonder if Luke overshadows him a bit, in normal big brother fashion.  This is his chance to figure out who he is as an individual.  I'm going to make sure I cherish this time with just the two of us.

No comments: