April 21, 2011

Quitter


Last weekend, Tim and I attempted our very first half marathon.  Naively we picked quite a doozy.  The Race to Robie Creek is dubbed "the toughest half marathon in the Pacific Northwest" for good reason.  The first 8.5 miles climb uphill into the foothills around here.  One good thing about the race is that we actually finished.  We didn't come away injury-free however.  My bum knee got worse and Tim got a stress fracture in his foot.  Hopefully our next half will be a whole lot better, and flat!

This morning Tim was getting ready for work and I was giving him sort of a cautionary talk.  A while back he signed up to to a 5K at work and he's actually going to walk the race, foot and all.  I know.  Not smart.  But I couldn't talk him out of it.

Tim: "Don't worry, I'll be careful."

Me:  "If your foot hurts, just make sure you quit so you don't injure it more."

Meanwhile, Luke walked into the bathroom unnoticed.  Overhearing our conversation, he piped in with his two cents:  "Daddy!  You can't quit.  Pell Men don't quit."

True, true buddy, but I'm seriously hoping that he does quit and actually take care of his foot.  Fat chance.

3 comments:

Kamille said...

Laughing!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I hadn't heard about the stress fracture. Tell Tim I know he's a smart guy...
Love,
Mom

Ellen said...

wow!! uphill? eek :) Great job finishing! I'm doing my first half in a couple months... in Seattle. I'm pretending there won't be hills :)