February 10, 2011

Obsessive

I love when books swallow me whole.

The problem is, I don't get anything done until the story frees me with its conclusion.

Last week, Tim and I stumbled upon a quaint bookstore, complete with a couple of quirky clerks.  They had some amazing recommendations and we took them up on a couple good ones.  When we got our treasures home, I was hesitant to start mine.  If the author does the job right, I'm hooked several pages in.  Once that happens, the hounds, I mean, my boys are released.  Released from all duties to get dressed, clean up their toys and wait patiently for healthy, home-cooked meals.  When I'm reading a good book, the house becomes a pigsty and we eat cereal for dinner.

I absolutely cannot wait until the boys start reading chapter books and catch the obsessive bug.  Then all four of us can curl up on a dreary weekend, only moving from the couch to pour the milk into our bowls.  Then, I might feel less guilty for neglecting them. 

I remember summer days, before any adult responsibilities of chores or jobs took hold, when I read the whole Anne of... series in record time.  My buttprint may still be in that recliner.  I read the whole Harry Potter series when Jack was a newborn.  After Tim went to bed, I would pull my booklight out and read until waaaay too late.  Even when I knew I needed to get more sleep because Jack was nursing a couple times a night and Luke was waking up for the day at 5am, I couldn't stop turning the pages. People thought I looked tired because I had 2 under 2, but no, I was just up reading too late.  Scratch that, it may have been a combination.  Maybe.

I take pride in the fact that my obsession rubbed off on Tim.  Growing up, he was a good student and did the required reading plus a little more.  The first summer after we were married, we couldn't get our hands on enough reading material.  It was glorious.

So, this is a very long way to tell you that I'm done with my book, Tim's hasn't passed his over to me yet, so I'm in need of a few titles to put on my hold list at the library.  Just beware though, once I pick them up, don't come over to my house expecting food to be offered or a clean floor to walk on.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Lindsey- I swear I could have written this post. I wish you lived closer...I wish I had gotten to know you better when we were in college. Hearing about your days always cheers me up and your comments on my blog are always appreciated. : )

Katie Schafer said...

Have you read the Time Traveler's Wife? I really enjoyed that one. And I haven't read it, but I heard that The Hunger Games was incredible and it's the first book in a YA series so that could keep you going for a while.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lindsey, it's Joelle Wright. This is soooo me. I'm exactly the same way. I could give you a LIST of books that are good, depending on your mood. :) For YA books: Eragon & following books by Christopher Paolini. Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards. For books for 'grown-ups': Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers is AMAZING. Might be the best 3 books I've read. For a Bridget Jones Diary type of book, What a Girl Wants is hilarious. It's Christian fiction/romantic comedy. The Bourne Identity series if a fun for action adventure (Robert Ludlum is author). The book next on my list is called The Help by Kathrynn Stockett. It's from the civil rights era, and each chapter is told from a different perspective from African American servants in different households. It's on the bestseller list and supposed to be amazing. I could go on and on, but I'll stop there! lol

Anonymous said...

I guess those summer reading programs paid off! Love, Mom

Kamille said...

I've never been a big reader like Ben (or you); however, once a book sucks me in...then I'm exactly like you. I love that world. And love the pics of you & your boys:)

Anonymous said...

I wish I could catch that bug...but I don't seem to have enought time what's that about... Love ya mom p

Valerie said...

You should read the Hunger Games for sure! Also, anything by Jennifer Crusie is funny/romantic.