April 5, 2010

Hover Mode

Have you ever heard of Helicopter Parenting?  If you haven't, just know it's not a good way to do it.  These parents hover over everything their children do, never letting them fail or figure things out on their own.  These children end up not developing themselves as individuals.

I don't think Tim and I are Helicopter Parents, but I'm pretty sure we have Helicopter Children.  They are constantly hovering over us, touching us and talking our ears off.  Most of the time it's great, they actually want to be around us and they are pretty awesome dudes.  Some times though, I find myself demanding some space.  A few days ago, I just needed a little extra space and told them that they could hang out near me but I didn't want to be touched.  Is that weird?

Jack has this quirky thing that Tim and I love.  If he's near us, which is pretty much always, he is either tugging on our ear, putting his fingers around our nose or rubbing between our knuckles.  When I read to them before nap time I always love the quiet, stillness and Jack's fingers in between my knuckles.

Luke's hovering is more of a verbal one.  When I was pregnant and nursing I made sure I took all my vitamins and fish oil.  Fish oil is supposed to promote brain development, especially focusing on verbal development.  I must have overdosed on that fish oil when Luke was incubating.  Sometimes verbal diarrhea explodes from Luke's mouth.  I don't think he breathes most of the time.  And yes, I do know that the apple definitely doesn't fall far from the tree.  For now though, I'm going to blame it on the fish oil, not my motor mouth.

Most of the time the hovering is endearing.  A few days ago, my patience was at an all time low, so the little helicopters were a little frustrating.  I'm praying for more patience in the future so I can enjoy the ear tugs and dialogue.

No comments: